Your personal information is important
What is personal information?
Personal information is defined as information in any form or manner about an individual, whether or not recorded, that identifies the individual, can be manipulated to identify the individual, or can be linked to other information that identifies the individual.
How does the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund protect my personal information?
- advising individuals of the purposes for which their personal information is being collected and used
- outlining the circumstances or purposes under which it will be disclosed to third parties
- obtaining consent of the individual for such collection
- identifying uses and potential disclosure, and
- ensuring that the information is not used or disclosed for other purposes without further consent.
Why does the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund collect and use personal information?
The OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund uses your personal information to determine and calculate your pension benefit. We need this information to make accurate calculations of your pension entitlements. We also need your personal contact information to be as up-to-date as possible so that we can contact you and also ensure that your survivor information is current. The OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund needs to keep you informed about your pension and any changes that may affect you. For example, each year we send you an annual pension statement and other communications which detail plan provisions and provide other information that is important to you. We also let you know when there is an amendment to the plan (such as a change in your contribution rate) or about other important pension or tax legislation changes. This is why it is crucial that we maintain up-to-date information on our members and pensioners, including mailing addresses.
Why is it important that the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund administers a robust privacy program?
An effective privacy program protects the public image and name of the OPSEU Pension Plan. It also enhances the organization's credibility and promotes continued confidence on the part of members, retirees, survivors and other business contacts. Having a privacy program in place allows the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund to efficiently manage personal information, and thereby reduce administration costs and any other unnecessary financial costs. Simply put, it is 'good business' to have a privacy program and it is the appropriate way of dealing with personal information.
Guiding Principles of our privacy program
The OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund carries out the privacy function based on the following principles:
- Accountability: the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund acknowledges that it is responsible for personal information under its control.
- Identifying Purposes: the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund identifies the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected.
- Obtaining consent: The consent of plan members is required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information (other than where disclosure is required by law). Consent may be express or implied from the circumstances (e.g., consent to use information for purposes of administering the plan may be implied from a member’s enrolment in the plan).
- Limiting Collection: the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund limits the collection of personal information to that which is necessary for purposes identified by the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund. Personal information is collected by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund does not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it is collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. The OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund retains personal information only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes, or as required by law.
- Accuracy of Personal Information: the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund makes reasonable efforts to keep personal information as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which the information is to be used.
- Security Safeguards: the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund protects personal information with security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Openness Concerning Policies and Practices: the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund makes readily available specific information about its personal information management policies and practices to members and the public upon request. Questions or concerns of members will be addressed by the Privacy Officer.
- Access to Personal Information: the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund informs members of the existence, use and disclosure of their personal information upon request, and gives individuals access to that information. A member or employee is given the opportunity to challenge the accuracy and completeness of their information and have it amended as appropriate.
- Challenging Compliance: the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund will investigate any privacy complaints or inquiries and has procedures in place for ensuring that each complaint is considered and processed in a timely manner.
We will keep you informed
Please be assured that the use, collection and disclosure of member and pensioner personal information will continue to be very important to the OPSEU Pension Plan Trust Fund. We will continue to assess the impact of any business changes and ensure that our business practices meet or exceed the established standards. We will also keep you informed about any steps that we are taking in this regard. If you have any concerns or questions regarding our privacy policies and procedures, please contact our Privacy Officer at (416) 681-6161 or toll-free within Canada 1-800-906-7738 or by e-mail at email@example.com.